Summer Berry Biscuit Cobbler (GF)
Every Sunday night we have a Game of Thrones viewing party and someone brings wine and dessert -- cuz why not? SO: This is a #GOT, summer nights inspired dessert on TAP, without all the guilt. I made this gluten free using a bob's red mill GF flour mix, but if I had a different flour or even a spelt flour on hand, I wouldn't have minded going that route either.
There's nothin' like a summertime cobbler with a dollop of melty ice cream on top. I wanted to make this one a little less sweet so it would be suitable for breakfast, but also perfect for dessert when paired with ice cream. Mmmmm.
Summer Berry Biscuit Cobbler
Adapted from Sprouted Kitchen's recipe
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp. GF flour (you can potentially use whole wheat flour, spelt, etc.)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp. + 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter (chilled)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (Greek works great because it's thick, but I had regular so that's what I used)
- approx. 6 cups blueberries, raspberries and blackberries (or your variation of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- vanilla ice cream to top!
1. Preheat oven to 375'.
2. Whisk 1 cup GF flour, 1/2 cup oats, 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk.
3. Cut the chilled butter into small cubes and massage it into the mixture creating clumps until integrated. Mix in the yogurt and incorporate until a dough forms.
4. Combine 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 3 tbsp. GF flour, the berries, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl. Toss, toss!
5. Pour the berries into an 8x8 baking dish. Distribute the biscuit topping into pieces and scatter over berries. Doesn't need to be super neat ;).
6. Bake until bubbling and the topping is golden and cooked through for about 45 minutes. Let rest for 45 minutes.
INHALE with ice cream. LOL.