Holistic Dog Care + Cheddar Dog Biscuits Recipe (GF)
I recently referenced an article on my FB explaining that dog owners tend to be in better shape and more active than people who don't have dogs. I talk about this all the time, but dogs need exercise for both their physical and mental well-being. That means I'm getting outside for almost two hours per day to walk -- in the fresh air, under the sun. When it's raining, I go out. When it's snowing, I go out. Even though it feels like a pain sometimes, the ritual is overall incredibly beneficial. It's a de-stressing activity activity for both my dog and myself. Win-win.
Anyway, I spoil beans rotten and am always looking for ways to make his life better. I had some leftover gluten free flour mix lying around, so I decided to make this cheddar biscuit recipe I found through Dr. Axe. Beans absolutely LOVED them. Here's the recipe:
(Gluten Free) Cheddar Dog Biscuits
- 1 cup gluten-free baking mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 /2 cup shredded pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- water or stock, as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F
2. Beat the egg in a medium bowl with the coconut oil. Add the cheese and mix. Then add the gluten free flower and fold together. Add liquid until the dough just holds together.
3. Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to be approx. 1/4" thick. Cut out your biscuits. I used a star shaped cookie cutter, so use whatever you have have!
4. Put each biscuit onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through and the bottoms have started to brown.
5. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
I'm gonna be honest with you -- I ate five of these dog biscuits. LOL. They're actually pretty good and don't have anything weird in them so why not??
What else can you feed your dog that human can have, too?
Here's a little list for ya (Source here):
- Peanut Butter
- Chicken (cooked)
- baby carrots
- green beans
I usually give beans bits of these things here and there for added nutrients and vitamins. :D